- Bottlenose dolphins are super swimmers, gliding through the water using their curved dorsal fin on their back, a powerful tail and pointed flippers. They can reach speeds over 30km an hour and dive as deep as 250m below the surface!
- Dolphins are born with hairs on their snout, like cat’s whiskar.
- Dolphin’s milk has a creamy withe color and contains approximately 66-77% water, 10-30% fat and 8-11% protein.
- Dolphin brains contain specialized brain cells called spindle neurons. These are associated with advanced abilities such as recognising, remembering, reasoning, communicating, perceiving, adapting to change, problem-solving and understanding. So it seems they are deep thinkers! Not only that, but the part of their brain which processes emotions (limbic system) appears to be more complex than our own.
- Bottlenose dolphins exchange signature whistles when meeting at sea.
- Dolphin´s birth will start with tail first, otherwise the drown underwater .
- Dolphins have in between 72-104 teeth and only one set for all their life, they don’t replaced it once lost.
- Dolphin brains lack an olfactory system (sense of smell)
- Female dolphins are spontaneous ovulators and seasonally polyestrous. They generally ovulate 2–7 times per year with a cycle length of about 30 days. The estrous cycle varies in length from 21–42 days
- Life spend of the Bottlenose Dolphins is 40-50 years.